Please note: This article is written by ‘Above Average Joe’ and was originally seen on SurvivalLife.com.
A bandana sits right at the top of my list of often overlooked survival gear. It is another one of those items that has hundreds of improvised uses but only if you have the right mindset for it..
Bandana’s weigh a fraction of an ounce, they are dirt cheap, and are also a must have in your survival gear.
I’ve come up with my own ideas (and pulled some from a few different sources online) that showcase just how useful this piece of cotton can be.
Here is just a short list of possible uses for a bandana:
1. Signal (Brightly colored works best)
2. Neck Gaiter for cold weather
4. Pot Holder
5. Collecting Wild Edibles
6. Sun protection for your neck
7. Sling (First-aid)
8. Sling (Weapon)
9. Friend/foe identification ( Gangs use them all the time to identify each other)
10. Cordage (cut into strips or used as is)
13. Waist pack/pouch
14. Hobo Pack
15. Padding a hotspot to keep from blistering
16. Cleaning Patches for Firearm
17. Gun Wipe Cloth (with oil)
18. Protection from foul odors ( add a few drops of essential oil)
19. Toilet Paper
20. Trail Marker
21. Dish Rag
23. Water Filter (takes out large contaminants)
24. Clean Glasses and other lens
25. Ear Muffs
26. Bind a stone and toss a line over a limb
27. Dust Mask or smoke mask depending on the situation
28. Wet and wear in hot weather to keep you cool
30. Improvised Bandage
31. Noise Reducer (wrap your gear to keep it from rattling in your pack)
32. Improvised Eye Patch 34. Cloth Diaper for a child
34. As a net to catch minnows and other bait
35. Camp markers (tear into four pieces and mark trees surrounding your camp site)
It is always a good idea to carry a bandana with you, they take up no weight and have a lot of uses (provided you are creative enough to figure them out)
…Can you think of any other uses I may have missed?
[Amazon Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. FTC Disclaimer: I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.]
The ‘Above Average’ Joe is a guy with an exceptional passion for learning. He has always had an interest in finding uncommon uses for everyday items and believes that if you can’t find at least three uses for a single item it isn’t worth having. Joe started down the path of survival and preparedness several years ago and treats every day as a learning experience.
Joe is excited to share the things he learns from his own personal experiences and research with the Survival Life community, and strives to ensure that every “average Joe” has all of the information they need to be confidently prepared in this unsteady world that we live in.
Survival Life is more than just one man. It is a growing and living community of individuals with the desire to be prepared to survive and thrive, no matter what this world throws at us. You can follow Joe by subscribing to his newsletter on the SurvivalLife.com homepage, or by following him on Facebook.